Thursday, March 10, 2005

Single table play

Yes, for awhile last night I only played one table. This is in stark contrast to the normal 3-4 tables plus IM that I have open while bonus whoring. I decided to try it based on Matt's suggestion at The Poker Chronicles to try to actually play a table with regards to pegging an opponent's style, using position, and betting according to an opponent's actions rather then my own cards. Hell, it was fun since I was playing probably the tightest $2/$4 BBJ Party table I've ever been on. In 6 orbits my blinds were never raised, but there were 4-6 to see a flop each time. I was able to peg the rock (he had pocket queens and never raised and my AKo caught an A on the turn), the calling station (we'll come to him during my big hand of the night), the super-cool-sneaky-fancy-play artist (limp-reraised Aces, and slowplayed the set on the flop only to get chased down by a four straight on the river). Normally I can note a couple of people and pay attention to position even while multi-tabling but last night I was able to make decisions that probably would have cost me a few extra bets had I not been paying full attention.

JJ in the BB, 4 people limp, button raises, SB calls, I call (value bet didn't make sense here, any comments?), super-cool-sneaky guy re-raises (A-C-E-S), all call. I knew what he had but for the price of one more bet why not try to hit a set? A - 3 - 5 rainbow flops, sneaky guy checked, MP bet, button calls, SB and I fold, sneaky guy smooth called, 2 players. 9 on the turn, sneaky guy checks, MP bet, sneaky guy check-raises, MP calls. Deuce on the river, sneaky guy bets, MP raises, flips over like Q4s or something, sneaky guy had the set of Aces. Eh, I've been there but I would have lost a flop bet too.

My big hand I played so straight-forward I have no idea why no one would give me credit for it. I get KJo on the button. 3 limpers, I limp, SB completes, and BB checks to see a Q A T with two clubs flop. I have the King of clubs but hey this is the BBJ tables, if they're sOOOOOOOted they're good! SB bets, BB drops, sneaky guy calls, rock calls (didn't check yet, but I figured he had AK or AT), I raise (I don't see a reason to slowplay since two to a flush is out there), turn is a 9 of diamonds, SB/Calling Station leads out again! Ok, now either A) he has two pair and is hoping I'm betting out with a big Ace or B) his finger is stuck and he can only hit the bet button. Sneaky guy raises (a set or big flush draw perhaps? again I'll have to look at the history), rock calls (I thought I'd be going for a chop at that point), I re-raise, all smooth call. A lovely offsuit 3 falls and the SB lead out again! God bless PartyPoker. Sneaky guy calls this time, rock calls since there's too much money in the pot, I of course raise, all call, everyone mucked! $108 pot for me whoo whoo!! I finished up 31BBs in about in hour of play. It was very refreshing to "play poker" instead of going to zombie multi-tabling mode and just play the cards. Granted no one's draws hit on me when I held TPTK so I got the good side of variance at these tables tonight.

The other hour of play, I went to Full Tilt (a site that I will be promoting with bonus code: Drizz99). When the bloggers aren't on Party, I always head over to Full Tilt to check out the pros playing. Last night it was Paul Wolfe and Richard "Quiet Lion" Brodie playing $15/$30 limit hold em. What a cool couple of guys. The Quiet Lion showed he was hurting for money after re-loading from $1,000 to $10,000 :P Chatting with the pros is just one of the many features this site has. Last night I was more interested in trying out a Razz cash game hoping some other bloggers had the same idea. Scurvydog was there so I decided to stick around and play a few orbits. Man, Razz can be a trying game, but its a game that rewards aggressiveness if you catch a few good doorcards and your opponents catch bad. There's a lot of room for bluffing and stealing antes in this game. I think the person who adapts their play to this at the next WPBT event will have a good shot at winning it (should Felicia have massive computer problems and can't log on). $5 profit for an hour's work at the Razz tables, and only took one hand to the river. Profitable: yes, exciting: probably not, educational and thought provoking: definitely. If you like chess, I think Razz would be a good game for you.

WPT at the Bike was on and I didn't watch long enough to see Paul whip out Super System for Lee when the match was heads-up so if you have a comment about it, leave it here. I'd like to know the reactions that people had.

Last day of work this week!!! Vegas in T-minus 10 days!

No comments: