Thursday, August 11, 2005

You Want Do To What?

Its 8pm on a Wednesday night, you're looking forward to working tomorrow since you know you'll be up late playing poker tonight. And the phone rings...

Its your mother-in-law asking to talk to her daughter. I hand the call off to the drill sergeant... er wife, who informs me we will be commencing some PT in the yard at 2010 hours. Objective is to move the mountain of logs that was recently split into nice neat stacks of firewood. I began to protest the logic of doing yard work at 8:00 o'clock at night when we have all weekend to do this after my softball games.

(pic from bigsblog.com)

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You little scumbag! I got your name, I got your ass! You will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you! Now get up off your face! Pvt. Joker you better unfuck yourself before I unscrew your head and shit down your neck!

- Full Metal Jacket


I guess I'll never understand why the hell everything needs to be done now now now! The wood isn't going to rot in 3 days. We're not building anything in that area for a couple of months, if not till next year. Why the fuck would you pick 8pm at night, while the mosquitoes are in full blood sucking frenzy to do a useless yard project? Is there some kind of PMS thing in the air that I'm unaware of?

Ranting complete, marital points firmly stuffed into boxer shorts. Let's move on to fun stuff like playing poker!

I'm still on an PLO8 tear. Why I didn't play this game more often in the past is beyond me. The players are easier to peg then in any other game. You can tell after one or two orbits, who's nut peddling (better yet, who actually knows what the nuts are), who's the idiot overplaying their pocket pair, and who's there to gambOOOOOOOOOl. I managed to swipe a few pots last night and mix up my game a little bit by raising pre-flop a few times.

This is something I'm experimenting with since it is my belief that Omaha is strictly a post-flop game, rather then pre-flop since any four cards are no more/less then a 60-40 favorite/dog to any other hand.

In other words, why raise if you know you're flipping a coin (this applies to cash game strategy only)?

Granted if you do raise pre-flop AND hit the flop hard you can maximize your winnings. The problem with O8 is that its a split game. The flop usually determines whether your playing for the high, the low, or the holy grail of split games: the scoop. For low limit PLO8, to me, it makes no sense to risk a pot size raise pre-flop with position just to scoop up the limpers for a probable coin flip. The risk isn't worth the reward. True you shouldn't look at the size of what a big bet is and think it of the money as betting units, but it wouldn't be prudent to be blind to the fact that scooping up 6 SBs pre-flop in a $10/$20 game is a different then the micro limits that I roam around at. One scoop is a steak dinner at Jax's the other is a McChicken sandwich and you'll still need some couch change for the extra value fries and coke.

Yes, we play for the challenge. Yes, we shouldn't look at the checks as cash. But be realistic, bets at different levels mean different things. That's why teachings in books like SSHE and Bob Ciaffone's Middle Limit books are different. Its a different game at different limits which makes discussing/arguing the merit of pre-flop raising in PLO8 difficult since not everyone plays at the same limits.

I'll step off my soapbox now and crawl back to my bunk for some rack time (no, she's already sleeping, and I don't think waking her up is a smart move).

My own results last night were promising as I played 4 whole hands after an hour beyond the flop at a Bad Beat Jackpot table at Party for a 2BB profit at the $2/$4 tables while working off the new reload bonus (hot damn I love run-on sentences!). Its nice that the two hands I won, AA held up, even vs. 5 people who cold-called 2 bets. Aces win every once in a while I've heard. Someone's KK got jumped by a Lake Street crackhead (Minneapolis reference there yo...) who called 3 bets cold then managed to run down his flopped set with a runner runner Ten high flush holding T5o. God bless limit players.

As for micro limit PLO8 with Felicia it was uneventful but educational again as I tried mixing it up, between the nut peddling (yes they will call your wheel down, without a straight or better themselves) and the aggressive pre-flop and post-flop continuation pot-size bets (yes they will call down your bluffs if there's ANY chance at getting a low). My donations to other PLO8 players will have to wait till I get back from Duluth this weekend.

I apologize to the unfortunate people who listened to my incoherant conversation killing rambling last night. I promise to rightfully intoxicated after softball on Saturday for some late night fun.

Thanks for dropping by, now check out the above linked bloggers. I guarantee you won't be sorry. Except for Chad, I accept no responsiblity for entering his Keystone Light drinking thoughts.

No comments: