Sunday, February 13, 2005

A little side trip and a lesson

Friday night after bowling my mom suggested a quick trip to Canterbury (Mystic Lake for her and the slots). Seeing that the funeral for my wife's grandfather was in the morning I could use something fun to do. I don't remember it ever being so freckin busy! I walked up to the board and the lines for 2/4 and 3/6 hold em were from here to the Canadian boarder. Sigh, I only had 3 hours to play and the lines would take at least 1-2 hours to get a table. But I looked down the board at what would be my $200 lesson. 4/8 Omaha hi-low with 1/2 kill. I've always wanted to try it so here's my chance!

I kept up fine for the first two hours, not playing tight, but getting crappy cards and/or flops. After being even I started watching the clock to see when my mom would be picking me up, that's when I turned my Eagle symbol into a Fish symbol. Calling station, loose pre-flop calls, calling down with 2nd best, made my rack disappear faster then the NHL's season. I wasn't outplayed just lost my patience (but I could tell that 4-5 of the people at the table WERE better players). Its funny since online I play fairly tight especially at O8, and wait for the semi-nuts/nuts but while the stakes were way over what I'm used to and I played loose, almost as if I wanted to lose (must focus Daniel-san).

Despite losing a rack while playing stupid, I'm encouraged that I have finally started to play poker with chips and not money. Chips are money you may inquire... well yes they are, but if you keep viewing your checks as cash you might not be inclined to call that bluff or cap pre-flop against loose opponent to value bet that KK. In other words, I've stop playing with scared money and started playing poker.

Lesson learned and hope it turns to into earning in the future.

The funeral went off great. My wife and sister-in-law both had some rather interesting stories about their grandpa during the service yesterday. The way they spent an hour in a smelly port-a-potty in the middle of a golf course because a storm turned bad, or how my wife when she was six caught 20 fish to his zero and enjoying every moment of it. At 82 he lived a full life and will be remembered as a vet, a father, and a friend. Hope heaven is treating you well Denver Hartung. God Bless.

No comments: