Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Things that make you limp

Or go limp. My poker chub was at a high this weekend, playing as many as 5 games at a time and enjoying it! Then my wife dropped the proverbial hammer (yes even non-professional women players use this hand) of telling me we need to use some poker funds when we move into the new house next month. I tried playing some Omaha hi/lo last night on Absolute (which wouldn't even boot up this weekend) and found myself more entertained by the fly that somehow survived the winter on my ceiling. Needless to say, I wasn't in the mood to play. After 4-5 orbits of taking in some nice pots, but pissing it away when my 20 outers never hit the river, I finished 8BB up and felt bleh. And I enjoy playing Omaha the most since, to me, its more exciting and thought provoking having wrap straight-draws, flush draws, nut low, etc...

Maybe I'm just overreacting to my wife's comments, surly I can be profitable enough to withdraw $100-$200 a month to help with monthly expenses (go go bonuses!!!). I don't think that's the problem. The problem lies within the reason WHY I and many others play poker. For entertainment, relaxation after doing the 9-5 grind, and the thrill of winning a nice pot. I know Joey Knish would disagree about "just playing for the thrill of victory", I never want to "play for rent or my kids to eat". Its more psychologial than realistic at this point. The thing I fear right now is playing too passively and start playing only nut hands. I know you can make money doing so, its how I played for the first 6 months of online poker. I've become much more profitable since I've started semi-bluffing, defending my blinds more, and shooting out more button raises even with only semi-decent holdings (thanks to SSH).

Actually I probably just need a drink and handjob or something. Damn I'm starting to sound like a whiny little bitch. Tonight, no poker unless its in the bedroom. Thanks for reading :)

No comments: